Sunday, July 5, 2015

Life's a Beach

Winters in Minnesota are brutal and not something to take lightly. Luckily, my friends are creative and willing to do anything to make the most of a situation...even winter. In January 2015, they hosted a cabin weekend in Merrill, WI. Other than spending time with college friends, the obvious highlight was a sleigh ride we took through snow covered trails in central Wisconsin. Retired Clydesdale horses pulled us along and everything felt right, even though it was only 15 degrees that day. It was amazing!

I fell in love with an idea during this trip and it is about to become a reality. This week, I am flying to Los Angeles to kickoff my biggest road trip yet. My journey will take me from the fabulous streets of West Hollywood, to the hills of San Francisco, through the Redwoods in Northern California, over to Eureka, CA, up to Eugene, OR and then to Portland, OR, where I will meet my sister and her family for a few days. I need the break and I am so excited.

In yoga class this week, our instructor took us on a visualization exercise and I believe it changed my perspective. We were lying down with our eyes closed and she brought us to a white, sandy beach. Completely alone with the mist from the ocean settling lightly on our nearly naked bodies. She then lifted us from ourselves and told us to look down, from above. "What do you see?" she asked. I did not have an answer. "Nothing", I guess. "You see someone with compassion, love, hope, accomplishments, sadness, loss, fear, and beauty", she continued. I choked up a bit.

Do you have those days where you think - what else could go wrong? Or, who else could I possibly bump into today that I once allowed to hurt me? Nauseating, right? Well, yesterday was one of those days for me. However, the yoga lesson inspired me to look at myself from above and ask myself, "What do you see?" I saw someone with a generous spirit, supportive friends, means to go and travel, love for life, and someone who really needs a break from the city I love most. Everything came together and I faced the day. Actually, I kicked its ass.

My life is beautiful. Sometimes it does not make any sense and sometimes events are so predictable I am uninspired. Whatever. I guess my point is that you do not get anything if you don't show up. You gotta play to win baby.

Let's play!
Gregg

No comments:

Post a Comment